Today’s homeowners are busier than ever, which can cause us to put off many small, yet important details in the home. However, tackling a few easy initiatives can pay dividends for the health of your home and, ultimately, your family. “A few simple and affordable maintenance tips can reduce incidents of allergens, the spreading of germs and help everyone breathe easier,” says Carla Bouchard, a broker with Royal LePage Metro. Bouchard recommends these five simple tips:
1. Add doormats on both sides of your doors. By doubling up on your doormats, you decrease the amount of dirt, allergens and lawn chemicals that are tracked into your home by up to 50 per cent.
2. Ensure proper ventilation in crawl spaces. Keeping humidity levels below 50 per cent is crucial for a healthy home. Areas with low ceilings, such as crawl spaces, are often under-used and overlooked. Install vent fans in these areas to prevent condensation, mold and mildew.
3. Dispose of and replace any cracked cutting boards. Damaged cutting boards are a haven for germs and bacteria. Consider purchasing bamboo cutting boards, which are nearly 20 per cent harder and absorb less liquid than traditional boards.
4. Pot some indoor plants. Formaldehyde is a high volume chemical that is occasionally found in cabinets and some upholstery fabrics and could be in your furniture. Plants such as philodendrons and Aloe Vera can serve to neutralize this chemical.
5. Clean and sanitize your handheld devices. Handheld devices such as cordless phones and remote controls harbour more germs than perhaps anywhere in your home. Clean them regularly.
Small changes can result in big rewards if you know where to start. Try some of Bouchard’s home maintenance tips in your own space. More information can be found at www.royallepage.ca.